Values, class, and a good work ethic are becoming harder and harder to find these days. Sometimes I think if boys were to take a few pages from John Wayne’s book, that might not be the case. Here are six things that have stood out from The Duke:
1) Stand for something, or you’ll fall for anything: Unfortunately, we live in a world where values are discarded and fads are on a pedestal. Know your mind and be willing to stand up for what you believe in instead of tucking tail to run. If a man can’t stand up for himself, how is he supposed to stand up for those he loves?
2) There is no grey area when it comes to right and wrong: Airing on the side of good and all that is right will never be easy. That is why it’s so important to have a good head on your shoulders and be able to judge for yourself what is good, and then, of course, be willing and able to stand up for it.
3) Answer the call that most simply wouldn’t: “Not my circus, not my monkeys” has become a motto of too many. You see something happening that rubs you the wrong way? Don’t turn a blind eye to it. Be the one that cares, be the one that helps, be the one that offers assistance when no one else will.
4) Just like others should be able to rely on you, you should be able to rely on yourself: You want something? Go get it. Take the matter into your own hands. Don’t sit back and wait for it to come to you. Be the catalyst. Be the one that’s willing to work hard.
5) To be stoic is to be smart: Don’t announce all your moves, don’t announce any of them. The men that are regarded as worth listening to aren’t the ones yelling into the microphone. They’re the ones sitting quietly in the corner, ready and waiting, speaking only when needed. They don’t fill the air with useless chatter. Their words come only when necessary and always carry weight.
6) Know how to treat a lady: A man is only as good as the woman standing with him, so choose her wisely. Once you’ve chosen her, work to keep her. She should be your equal, your confidante, your companion, your friend, your accountability partner. This isn’t a position meant for your brother who was your first friend, your father you idolize, your mother you once answered to, or the eye-catching woman down the street.
Feeling the need to take another step back in time? Click here.