As soon as fall rolls around, everyone goes crazy for pumpkin-flavored things! Candles, coffee, cookies, and even clothing have been bombarded by these jovial orange fruit (yes, technically pumpkins are a fruit). But we can’t leave our horsey friends out of this seasonal craze! Indulge in the fall spirit by treating your steed with a nice trail ride through the fall colors, followed by a sweet molasses pumpkin treat!
Pumpkin Horse Treats
Yields approximately three dozen
- ½ cup canned pumpkin
- ½ cup chopped pumpkin seeds
- 1½ cups oat bran
- ½ cup Quaker oats
- ½ cup sweet fed (if your horse is able to eat it)
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- ½ tablespoon salt
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup molasses
- 1 bag of pumpkin mellowcreme candies
- Mini muffin pans (three, if available)
- Large mixing bowl
- Cooling rack
- Preheat oven to 300°
- Grease mini muffin pans.
- Chop carrots and pumpkin seeds.
- Mix all dry ingredients in large bowl.
- Mix in canned pumpkin, molasses, and chopped carrots.
- Spoon mixture into muffin pans, to the top of each hole.
- Using just one of the pumpkin candies, push into the center of each treat making a round indentation in the center, then pull it back out. You will add the candies after the treats have been baked.
- Bake for 50 minutes.
- Remove from oven and put pumpkin candies in their spots on each treat.
- Bake for five more minutes and then let them cool for 10-15 minutes before removing them from the pans.
- Take the treats from the pans and set out on a cooling rack to finish cooling completely, then store in a sealed container for optimal freshness.
Hope your horsey friends enjoy their spooky snack!!
For more “Crafty COWGIRL” tips, tricks, and treats, check out these horsey hacks every horse owner needs to know!