Our Newsletter to your inbox every week!
The Ideal Length of TimeTraining sessions that are intense should be kept between 20 and 30 minutes long. That’s enough time to work on something new, but not wear your horse out. Of course, they can be longer or shorter depending on how your horse responds. Many riders drill their horses for over an hour. They’re likely to get frustrated and stop learning. The best way to show your horse they have mastered a certain element is to end the ride early. Trail rides and riding for leisure don’t have to be as short. Look out for obvious signs of mental or physical fatigue. Ask yourself these questions when determining how long to keep your rides.
- Am I teaching my horse something difficult?
- Did they make a good attempt?
- Have you given your horse a lot of walk breaks?
- Are they lathered in sweat?
- Are their ears pinned back or tail swishing aggressively?
- How frequently do you ride?